amazon

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Huh!

For some reason tis the season. It makes me feel like getting a paint brush wet. What's it gonna be? Oil or latex? The advances in latex have pretty much made oil obsolete. As much as I like the properties of latex. Water clean-up and all that are great properties to have but you can't beat oil for longevity, durability, and smoothness. The biggest worry is how do you cover oil with latex? It is all in the preparation of the surface to be painted. The smooth skin of oil paint will just cause the paint to peel kinda like a vacation sunburn. You can sand it to give a surface something to grab. Unfortunately you are gonna gum up a lot of paper. My personal recommendation is to use a readily available preparation that is specially formulated to take the gloss off and leave a paintable surface. Having decided on paint just sit and think a minute. Oil is still the selection of choice for high humidity locations. I have personally painted an aquarium cover that still looks brand new to this day and that was 15 years ago. I am pretty sure it wouldn't have lasted 5 years had I done it in latex. The name of the game is pick your poison. I love latex for it's versatility and I love oil for its durability.

No comments:

Post a Comment